- April and May have been positively crazy! I’ve had to prioritize where my time went, and blogging/reading blogs was the first thing to go. I logged in yesterday and saw that I had 366 unread items, so I’ve obviously missed a lot in your worlds! Obviously there’s no way I’m catching up on that, so what’s a girl to do? “Mark All As Read.” Sorry if I missed any earth-shattering announcements!
- Yesterday was my 5-year wedding anniversary.
- We celebrated said anniversary by taking a cruise week before last. (Post and pictures to follow soon!)
- Cruises are not my cup of tea. However, I have never eaten more delicious food than I ate that week.
- For the second year in a row, I came back from vacation to bad news at work. And this time, D did too. It’s been an emotional week around here.
- I didn’t get to run either the half marathon or the 5K that I was trying to decide between on 4/21. I had to work. I can’t bring myself to complain about that though. My fill-in had a family emergency. I’m sure he would have much rather been at work than planning his mother’s funeral.
- I didn’t get to run the 10K last weekend either. I’ve had the flu or some other equally unfun ailment since last Tuesday. So has D. It’s been an emotional AND snotty week around here.
- For the last couple of days, my cat has been licking her nipples incessantly. Poor little things are red and raw! I see a trip to the vet in our very near future if whatever it is doesn’t clear up STAT. Anyone else ever had anything like that happen with their feline?
- I picked up my first CSA haul last Thursday night. I’ve never seen so many greens in my life! Turnip greens, mustard greens, kale, swiss chard, bok choy, a couple of lettuces, napa cabbage… And there were a couple of other things I had never seen. I was introduced for the first time to kohlrabi and garlic scapes. This will be an interesting summer in my kitchen!
So I finally broke down and went to urgent care Friday after I got off work about this pain in my ribs. It’s really been hurting to do anything lately–sit, stand, lie down, cough, sneeze, hiccup, laugh. Just about the only thing it DOESN’T hurt to do is run, so at least there’s that. (Oh, it hurts plenty if I take a deep breath and expand my rib cage, but if I breathe CORRECTLY while I’m running–from the belly/diaphragm–no pain whatsoever.)
|Hopefully this is the only image of my bare chest on the internet.|
That’s what this crap I’ve had has cost me so far. I missed Saturday’s 12 miles, Monday’s 5, and Tuesday’s 4. I finally started feeling better late yesterday morning, and I briefly considered trying to get in a few miles after work, but I decided against it. I didn’t want to risk trying to jump back in too soon. I’ve been completely ZONKED with this! But I’m back among the living today, so I plan to ease back out there this afternoon. If nothing else, these four days off have completely taken care of that nagging glute pain that I’ve had since January. So there’s that.
(Oh, and Harley’s tummy is all better now too. I don’t know what was up with that, but I’m glad it’s better. That was ROUGH!)
If I had to get sick, I’m glad it happened when it did and not next week. I’ve got a half-marathon PR attempt coming up on the 9th! I hope I’m back to 100% by Saturday (surely to God I will be!) to get in one more good long run before then.
Last week when I came home from work and found D already home and in bed, I knew that was not a good sign. He’s not your typical man when he’s sick. He doesn’t get all whiney and pitiful. He sucks it up and works right through it. So when he goes down, it’s pretty bad. I don’t know what he had because he never went to the doctor (He IS a typical man in that regard.), but whatever it was it only hung around a couple of days.
I’m hoping that will be my case too. I was fine when I went to bed Friday night. About 5:00 am Saturday I woke up with a sore throat. It wasn’t too bad. And it was okay because I had already planned to move my long run (12 miles) to Sunday anyway because it was supposed to storm all day Saturday. So I went about my normal business just fine all day. Last night when I finally sat down on the couch, in typical Pam fashion, I was asleep within a few minutes. When I woke up around midnight, I could just feel it. I told D right then, “I don’t know if there will be any running tomorrow.”
And, alas, there is no running today. Instead, there’s lots of laying around in my fuzzy PJs with my blanket and drinking hot tea.
I’m not the only sickly one in the house right now. Poor Harley has the screaming shits. We knew he had a raging case of gas Friday night. It was baaaaaaaaad. He cleared the room a couple of times. No cause for concern. Dogs fart. Then when I got up Saturday morning and opened their bedroom door, the stench nearly doubled me over. He had left us several presents. Luckily, they were mostly on the old area rug that was in their room. We didn’t even attempt to salvage that rug. It was rolled up, placed in the bed of D’s truck, and taken to the dump. His tummy troubles persisted through the day yesterday and once through the night last night, and he’s even vomited a couple of times. He doesn’t act like he feels bad. He’s still running around and play fighting with Bella and acting like his normal goofy-ass self. But he’s not eating or drinking. I’m giving him ice cubes to make sure he doesn’t dehydrate, and I tried to give him some Pepto-Bismol, but that just ended up in an unsuccessful pink mess. We’re at the 24-hour mark now, so we’ll see how he does today. He probably needs to eat something, so I may try a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice today. And if he keeps it up I guess we’ll be back at the vet tomorrow. Which is AWESOME because I had been worried all weekend about what I was going to do with that extra $30 I had left after paying the bills this week.