I have clicked the “Create new post” button at least a dozen times over the past couple of weeks and then just sat there with my my fingers on the keyboard not knowing where to begin. How does one pick up where she left off when it’s been almost a year?! (Just how in the HELL has it been almost a year anyway?!?!) I have no good reason for my absence, really. When I’ve taken a hiatus before, it was because things were full of suck and I just didn’t care to talk about it, but that wasn’t the case this time! 2013 didn’t suck at all! It didn’t involve much running, and I spent way more time working than I would have liked, and sure it had it’s sucky moments, but overall it didn’t suck!
Allow me to share some highlights…
- We split a week between Destin, FL (my favorite beach spot within a reasonable driving distance) and New Orleans where we celebrated our 6th anniversary in May.
|We usually go to Destin in the late summer, but from now on we’ll be going early in the year! We were there the second week of May and it was GLORIOUS.|
|Anniversary dinner at Cafe Giovanni|
|We even had the opportunity to volunteer at Villalobos while in New Orleans!|
|D with one of the adoptables at Villalobos.|
|The famous Cafe Du Monde. Who knew “beignet” was just a fancy word for “funnel cake”?|
|Jazzin’ it up.|
- We saw Kevin Nealon at Zanies in Nashville… HILARIOUS! (But now I’m pissed because I know I took pictures that night and now I can’t find them!)
- D and I both took up a new hobby.
- I became more involved in rescue by volunteering locally and doing some volunteer driving on transports.
|I cry every time I see this picture. I’d like to cut a body part off of whoever cut her ears like that.|
- I started a new program here in town inspired by Abbi’s Miles & Mutts! We take local shelter dogs to the park for exercise and socialization and to hopefully meet potential adopters.
|Chops – ADOPTED!|
|D with Einstein – available for adoption|
|Me with Chops again|
- Bella had her second surgery on her knee. This was definitely not one for the “doesn’t suck” category, but it was a major event of 2013. Financially anyway. She reinjured it only a few months after her ACL repair and had to have meniscal repair too! We were referred to an orthopedic specialist at UT Knoxville Veterinary Hospital for this one, and they did a wonderful job getting her back up and running.
- Lots of fun times with the furry kids.
|Bella knows no stranger. If you are at the dog park and you have a ball, she is your friend.|
|The old girl, C.C., enjoying some sunshine.|
|Bella’s first hotel stay the night before her appointment with the orthopedist in Knoxville.|
|Harley never got in the pool. He was more interested in the water hose. He loooooves getting sprayed.|
|Redneck baby gate. This is how you allow your dog to get some sunshine after surgery when stairs are still off limits.|
|Nothing like a pittie smile.|
|More dog park fun.|
|Supporting a neighboring county’s humane society at their Barktoberfest.|
|Harley’s new friend, Gnash. Bella and Harley have a new pupsitter, and Gnash is her dog. Instant buds.|
|Bella and Gnash.|
- Saw Hugh Laurie and the Copper Bottom Band in concert. AMAZING musicianship!
- Crossed a major item off my bucket list and went to a Cardinals World Series game! Remember Game 3? The one that ended in extra innings on an obstruction call? The one they’re calling the most bizarre ending to a World Series game in history? Yeah, WE WERE THERE! It was a night I’ll remember forever.