- I haven’t talked about running in a while. Never fear. I’m still doing it, just not talking about it. It’s above 60 degrees, so now I’m just in suck-it-up-and-run-as-slow-as-it-takes-to-not-die mode.
- I finally went to the chiropractor yesterday to have my hip looked at. It has been hurting ever since I ran the Shamrock Half back in March. When I finished, both hips were sore, but the left one never got better. It never got worse either, so I just kept running, hoping it would get better with time. Only it didn’t. It didn’t even get better when I missed 10 consecutive days of running with the flu/bronchitis/whatever else I had last month. He twisted me up in all sorts of positions and said it was in the joint. He told me to lie on my back and hold on tight to the table so he didn’t pull me off. He grabbed my lower leg and pulled and all of a sudden I felt something give in the joint accompanied by a very audible “THUNK” sound. He told me the medical term for it and said it basically meant that the ball had become jammed too far up into the socket. I hoped it would be that simple. It’s not any better today. Going back Thursday.
- Sunday was my sister’s birthday. We have a date on Saturday to celebrate. 😀
- I started a small fire in the kitchen last night. It’s okay. There was no damage and no casualties. Although it did scare the living crap out of me.
- I got in the tanning bed Sunday for the first time since before vacation. I’ve been in the sun a lot since then, but I forgot my bare ass hasn’t. Lesson learned.
1. MY. ABS. ARE. SORE. I mean REALLY sore. Like to the point where I coughed and thought I was gonna die. I went to the gym last night and did quite a bit of core work. I think I may have overdone it just a wee bit.
2. My sweet new mattress finally has blankets! We have had a king-size mattress for several weeks but hadn’t been able to find a comforter set that
we I liked. We bought sheets out of necessity but had just been using odd assorted blankets but no comforter. I finally found a heck of a deal on a set I loved on overstock.com and it came in yesterday. It’s soooooooooo pretty and sooooooooo fluffy and comfy.
3. I totally outdid myself in the kitchen last night. I made some killer veggie quesadillas. I didn’t know I had it in me.
I absolutely love the Fourth of July. It is becoming my most favorite holiday. You still have the friend and family togetherness of Thanksgiving and Christmas without all the stress and expense of presents.
It’s been a super busy weekend but a super fun one, too.
Thursday night I was sitting on the couch in my lounge pants about 8:30 (I’m usually in bed through the week by 9 or a little after.) when I got a text message from my neice asking me if I wanted to go see Eclipse. Ummmmmm….HELL YEAH I WANNA GO SEE ECLIPSE! (Because, seriously, what self-respecting 30-year-old woman would give up the opportunity to go ogle Taylor Lautner?)
So I got redressed and went to see Eclipse. LOVED it. But it resulted in me not getting in bed until 1 AM. My alarm clock went off at 4:45 the next morning.
I worked all day Friday and went to the grocery afterwards to pick up everything I would need for the get-togethers this weekend. (Little did I know that would be the first of THREE grocery runs I would end up making because I kept forgetting stuff.) That evening I made this:
(Image and receipe both swiped from Erica. It was a hit at the cookout Saturday!)
and did this:
(Disclaimer: Those are not my hands. This was just one of the first images that showed up on a google search.)
I was up again Friday night until after 11:00 and had the ol’ alarm set for 5:00 Saturday morning so I could run before it got hot. Mission accomplished. Sort of. I WAS out on the road by 6:00 or so, but it was already super humid. I got in my six miles but at a pretty slow pace. I was really, really hating this summer running, but I saw something on someone’s blog a couple of weeks ago that I really liked. It said, “Persevere through summer for a fruitful fall.” I wish I could remember whose blog I saw that on so I could give them props here! And Runners World has an article this month saying that for every 5 degrees above 60F you can expect a 20- to 30-second-per-mile slowdown. So I’m not hating on myself quite as much these days.
I came home and took a quick shower and then we were LAKEWARD BOUND! Remember the couple that I told you about us bumping into in Cabo? Well, we’ve been hanging out with them quite a bit lately, and they invited us to go out on their boat with them Saturday and grill at their place Saturday night. So Saturday was a great day–out on the water with good friends, good music, and plenty of beer followed by lots of good food and laughs back at their place.
Then yesterday was a great church service (we live in a lake resort town, so it was PACKED with visitors in for the holiday), and then my parents came up to visit. We ate burgers and dogs and just visited and played Skip-Bo all afternoon. I don’t think anyone else in the world can make Skip-Bo as competitive as we do.
And since the 4th was on a Sunday, the Post Office is closed today in observance. Woohoo! Bonus day! 🙂 Think I’m gonna head to the gym and come home and lay out. What about you guys? Are you off work today, too?