In my Highlights of 2013 post, I totally forgot to mention one of my absolute most favorite things we did! We saw the Trans-Siberian Orchestra in Nashville in December! I’ve been dying to see them for years, and we finally has the opportunity, time, and funds (a very rare trifecta around here!) to make it happen! D was skeptical, but even he was amazed by the performance. It was three freaking hours of goose bumps and emotion and the first time that “O Come All Ye Faithful” has moved me to tears. The raw vocal talent, the musicianship, the light show and pyrotechnics…it was all just so mesmerizing. If you ever get a chance to go… GO! You will not regret it!
I have clicked the “Create new post” button at least a dozen times over the past couple of weeks and then just sat there with my my fingers on the keyboard not knowing where to begin. How does one pick up where she left off when it’s been almost a year?! (Just how in the HELL has it been almost a year anyway?!?!) I have no good reason for my absence, really. When I’ve taken a hiatus before, it was because things were full of suck and I just didn’t care to talk about it, but that wasn’t the case this time! 2013 didn’t suck at all! It didn’t involve much running, and I spent way more time working than I would have liked, and sure it had it’s sucky moments, but overall it didn’t suck!
Allow me to share some highlights…
- We split a week between Destin, FL (my favorite beach spot within a reasonable driving distance) and New Orleans where we celebrated our 6th anniversary in May.
|We usually go to Destin in the late summer, but from now on we’ll be going early in the year! We were there the second week of May and it was GLORIOUS.|
|Anniversary dinner at Cafe Giovanni|
|We even had the opportunity to volunteer at Villalobos while in New Orleans!|
|D with one of the adoptables at Villalobos.|
|The famous Cafe Du Monde. Who knew “beignet” was just a fancy word for “funnel cake”?|
|Jazzin’ it up.|
- We saw Kevin Nealon at Zanies in Nashville… HILARIOUS! (But now I’m pissed because I know I took pictures that night and now I can’t find them!)
- D and I both took up a new hobby.
- I became more involved in rescue by volunteering locally and doing some volunteer driving on transports.
|I cry every time I see this picture. I’d like to cut a body part off of whoever cut her ears like that.|
- I started a new program here in town inspired by Abbi’s Miles & Mutts! We take local shelter dogs to the park for exercise and socialization and to hopefully meet potential adopters.
|Chops – ADOPTED!|
|D with Einstein – available for adoption|
|Me with Chops again|
- Bella had her second surgery on her knee. This was definitely not one for the “doesn’t suck” category, but it was a major event of 2013. Financially anyway. She reinjured it only a few months after her ACL repair and had to have meniscal repair too! We were referred to an orthopedic specialist at UT Knoxville Veterinary Hospital for this one, and they did a wonderful job getting her back up and running.
- Lots of fun times with the furry kids.
|Bella knows no stranger. If you are at the dog park and you have a ball, she is your friend.|
|The old girl, C.C., enjoying some sunshine.|
|Bella’s first hotel stay the night before her appointment with the orthopedist in Knoxville.|
|Harley never got in the pool. He was more interested in the water hose. He loooooves getting sprayed.|
|Redneck baby gate. This is how you allow your dog to get some sunshine after surgery when stairs are still off limits.|
|Nothing like a pittie smile.|
|More dog park fun.|
|Supporting a neighboring county’s humane society at their Barktoberfest.|
|Harley’s new friend, Gnash. Bella and Harley have a new pupsitter, and Gnash is her dog. Instant buds.|
|Bella and Gnash.|
- Saw Hugh Laurie and the Copper Bottom Band in concert. AMAZING musicianship!
- Crossed a major item off my bucket list and went to a Cardinals World Series game! Remember Game 3? The one that ended in extra innings on an obstruction call? The one they’re calling the most bizarre ending to a World Series game in history? Yeah, WE WERE THERE! It was a night I’ll remember forever.
I’ve really been feeling the need for some quality me time here lately, and I’m finally getting it. I mentioned a couple of posts ago that I was in Knoxville visiting my sister, and I had a rockin’ time. Literally rockin’. The concert (Adelita’s Way and Chevelle with Three Days Grace headlining) was flippin’ SWEET, and I got to share the experience with my sister and a dear old friend from high school that also lives in Knoxville. Good times. 🙂 When I ordered my ticket, the web site said that no flash photography was allowed, but when we got there everybody and their monkey had a camera with them. I, on the other hand, had my cell phone. I took like a gazillion pictures, only a couple of which turned out to be not blurry. These were the best ones I could get.
Meh. At least it’s enough to prove I was there.
I went back to work today and played catch-up from being out of the office most of the week. WHY I didn’t take one more vacation day and just make a one-day workweek out of it is beyond me.
But now it’s the weekend again, and I’ve got a little more me time in store. We’re just going to take it easy at the house tonight because I have an early date with the pavement in the morning. I have to get a long run in (12 miles! This will be the first time I’ve run that distance!) early enough to get showered and drive a little over an hour to meet a friend for lunch at 11:30. Then after lunch it’s to the spa. Ahhhhhh, the spa. Even saying the word is relaxing. Spaaaaaaaaahhhh. I can’t wait! The friend I am meeting gave me a gift certificate to this spa for my 30th birthday and told me that the one stipulation to the gift was that I had to use it on a girl’s day out with her. No problemo, girlfriend! Any time any of you need a spa date, I am your girl!