- I went from having NOTHING to say over the summer to having SO MUCH to say now but never any time to say it!
- I participated in a 10-mile race at Chickasaw State Park last weekend. I usually do a race recap, but this was simply a training run for me. It doesn’t even warrant a post of its own. The only thing I have to say about this one is HOLY HILLY HELL. My legs and glutes are STILL feeling the effects of that one. Oh, and I did have a little bit of a breakthrough during this race. I discovered that when one gets hot enough, one WILL take their shirt off and run in a sports bra and not give a FLYING RIP what anyone thinks.
- D and I are flying through Weeds on Netflix. AWESOME show.
- I fell off the vegetarian wagon Friday night. We were invited to a friend’s house for dinner, and there were ribs. RIBS, Y’ALL. Ribs that had been in the Big Green Egg since like 1:00 that afternoon. Ribs that I was watching everyone else eat. Ribs that were falling off the bone. It was torture. And I ultimately caved and ate the living shit out of some ribs.
- Today is my 32nd birthday. 🙂 I hate when my birthday falls in the middle of the week! I had planned on taking today off like I always do, but those plans fell through when HR scheduled my fill-in for out-of-town training this week. BLAH. This is the first time I’ve worked on my birthday since 2006. Not that I had any plans or anything. But that was kind of the point. We’ll do something this weekend, although I have no idea what yet. In the meantime, I’m gonna try to sweet-talk the hubs into a birthday massage tonight. 🙂 That man missed his calling. He gives the best massages!
- Over the weekend, I got online to register for the same Cupid’s Chase 5K that I ran last year. And then I saw that the registration went from $20 in 2011 to $35 in 2012. Seriously, a 75% increase???? And that’s if you pre-register! If you register on race day, the fee is $50. FOR A 5K. (For a point of comparison, I paid $55 to run a half-marathon in the same city last year.) I find that ridiculous, and I told them so. Needless to say, I didn’t register. I understand that it’s for a good cause, but come on. Every 5K I’ve ever run is for a good cause (Lion’s Club, local high school track team, fundraisers for a specific family in need), and I’ve never paid over $20 for any of them. If they’re trying to raise more money, it seems like this is a little counterproductive. Seems to me like a fee that high will scare off more runners than it will entice. It’s a total bummer, too. I’ve really been looking forward to running that race again.
- There was a picture of the Yuengling Shamrock Marathon finisher’s medal posted on their facebook page yesterday. I can’t wait to make it mine! It doubles as a bottle opener and has a detachable pendant. BRILLIANT!
- I’m kind of obsessed with Chobani’s new flavor. Who needs birthday cake???
- Remember back when everyone was having problems with blogger deleting posts just being all wonky and stuff? I never had any problems then, but blogger sure is pissing me off now. After I hit the “publish post” button, it MIGHT publish within the next day or so. It SHOWS as being published, but I had a sneaking suspicion that it wasn’t actually publishing, so I “followed” myself. And sure enough, it’s not showing up in the news feed for seeeeeeeeeeveral hours. I’ve got this one scheduled for 6:00 am Tuesday. Let’s just all see together when it actually shows up, shall we?
In honor of my 31st birthday tomorrow and in honor of Adam just being an awesome virtual race director, I ran two 5Ks today. Simultaneously. See, you can do stuff like that when they’re virtual races.
Adam, DQ me if you must. I missed your race date by a full day. I had every intetion of doing this yesterday, but after my friend’s 40th birthday party Friday night, I was in no shape to run a 5K on Saturday. No shape whatsoever.
So it was today or bust! After church and The Walmart Experience, I was ready to do my thang in my own It’s M’Burfday and Adam’s Freeze Your Thorns Off virtual 5Ks.
At 3:00 pm with a wind chill of 18, with a t-shirt, an Under Armour hoodie, a pair of Reebok tights and a pair of Under Armour cold gear tights on over those, gloves, and ear warmers, I was off.
Don’t I look like I’m ready to freeze something off?
Mile 1: 8:40 pace – “This is awesome! Why don’t I run this fast more often?!”
Mile 2: 9:15 – “Ooooh yeah. This is why.”
Mile 3: 9:49 – “What kind of idiot puts this kind of hill on the last part of a 5K? Wait a minute, what? I got to pick my own course for this race? Idiot…”
Mile 3.1: 0:53 – *WHEEEEEEEEZE*
1. Holding true to my goal of more cross-training, I took a spin class last night. It wasn’t nearly as hard as the last one I took about five years ago when I lived in Jackson. Either I’m in much better shape now than I was then, or the class just wasn’t as intense. I’m thinking it’s probably a combination of the two. (I wanna do one of Janae’s classes! I bet she really sticks it to ’em!) The only thing really sore today is my rump. Well, that and a certain lady part, but we’ll steer clear of that conversation. And the class did pretty much confirm my theory that my glutes are weak. Which is why…
2. I think I’ve strained something in my butt. I’ve felt a little tightness in my right glute since a hill workout about a week ago. It’s nothing major. Just some tightness and a little soreness. Just to err on the side of caution I will probably take a couple of rest days after my …
3. Burfday 5K! (If you haven’t already, go leave a comment on that post if you’d like to participate.) Yep, Monday is my birthday, and if years were miles I would be 50K. We’re going out tomorrow night to celebrate with some friends, one of whom is turning 40. Not 40K, 40 YEARS! haha I keep telling these people I’m too young to have friends that are 40 and have teenagers themselves.
I’ve had this idea for a while, but true to form, I’m a dollar short and a day late, so Adam beat me to the punch and stole my date! But oh well…that’s where the phrase “two birds with one stone” comes in!
On January the 10th, I will be turning 31 years old. If that’s not cause for a 5K, I don’t know what is. (31…3.1…5K….see how that works?)
THE DATE: January 8th or 9th. (Adam’s Freeze Your Thorns Off 5K is January 8th, so feel free to use his as mine and mine as his. Yes, he’s already given permission in his race rules that his 5K can be part of another race or training run.)
THE COURSE: Whatever your precious little heart desires. Inside, outside, hilly, flat. I don’t care, as long as it’s 3.1 miles. Or for you GBAs out there (and you know who you are), 31K.
THE PRIZES: HA! Yeah, right. Like I’m made of money. If you want prizes, sign up for Adam’s race. The best you’ll get out of this one is bragging rights and a mention here on my blog.
If you want to participate, just leave a comment or email me to let me know. Afterwards, send me a link to your race report. You’ll have until Friday 1/14/11 to get that done so I can start putting together a winners post.
I’ve already told y’all about my 10-mile run Saturday, but what I COMPLETELY FORGOT to mention was that the first 8.25 miles of that run were dedicated to MCM Mama! (She might be the one going masters, but I seem to be the one with early-onset dementia.)
See, Mama is turning the big 4-0 this week and hosted a virtual race in her own honor. (I’m seriously thinking of stealing this idea for my 31st birthday in January. How convenient? 31? 3.1? As in 5K? Sounds like a virtual race just BEGGING to happen!!! Now if I just don’t forget about it before then…)
Participants had three choices: 4.0 miles (for her age), 8.25 miles (for the actual date of birth), or 40K (for the crazies, a.k.a. T and G! I don’t think they’ll be offended that I called them crazy. They freely admit they are runners first, logical thinkers second. And I want to be just like them when I grow up.)
On to the important stuff!
Mile 1 – 10:07
Mile 2 – 10:55
Mile 3 – 11:34
Mile 4 – 11:53 (water/chat stop)
Mile 5 – 10:56
Mile 6 – 11:07
Mile 7 – 11:53 (water/chat stop again. strange that it’s the exact same split as the first stop)
Mile 8 – 11:04
Mile 8.25 – 2:40
Total time – 1:32:02
Happy Birthday, Mama!!!!