Exactly one week from today, at exactly this time, I will be standing in corral 16 at the start line of my first marathon.
I’m about to lose my gord.
A few thoughts…
- I seriously think the people at weather.com are intentionally trying to screw with me. One day it shows an 80% chance of rain, the next day 0%. Come on, dudes. Not cool at all. (Sorry for the false alarm, Amanda!) They’ve pushed the rain up to Monday now.
- I ran my last “long” run yesterday. It was 9 miles, and it was the worst run I’ve had in a while. The wind beat the living crap out of me and I just felt really tired. Not surprising following Thanksgiving, but not a good confidence booster going into the final stretch.
- Everyone keeps telling me to trust my training. Well, I missed a lot of my training because of my knee, so that’s really not good advice for me. If I have to put my trust in that, I’m screwed. I’m better off putting my trust in my hard-headedness.
- I’m looking forward to meeting Julie, Amanda, and Mel!
- My bib number is 16272. Nothing about that number jumps out at me as being good luck. 627 used to be the first three numbers of my phone number, but that’s all I got.
- I’m bummed about the post-race concert. The headliner is Bret Michaels, and I was pretty stoked about seeing him. But I recently found out that I won’t get to. He will be on stage from 11:00 am to 12:15 pm, so IF I can finish in 5:15 I MIGHT get to see him walk offstage.
- This last pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 13s that I bought feel weird. I can’t place exactly what’s different about them, but something just seems off. I thought maybe it was just because they weren’t broke in good, but they’ve got about 50 miles on them now. I’ve run the last couple of weeks of training runs in them (but had to change out of them halfway through my 20-miler last week), but they won’t be coming to Vegas with me. I’ll be taking my last pair of MWR13s that have about 250 miles on them. I stick with what I know works.
- Speaking of sticking with what works, I’ve already scoped out Dominos Pizza locations. I’ve had my best long runs the morning after chowing down on their Pacific Veggie pizza. I will be having a private pizza party for one in my hotel room Saturday night while everyone else goes out. Hey, I might have to turn in early, but I’m not about to ruin everyone else’s fun! We’ll be in Vegas for Pete’s sake!
- I haven’t started packing yet, but I have my list of stuff to pack made out. I’m terrified I’m gonna forget something important.
- I’m putting the finishing touches on my playlist this weekend.
So here we go. Seven days and less than 10 miles are now all that stand between me and the start line. Ready or not…